Pro workspaces are shared workspaces that allow multiple Kumu users to collaborate seamlessly, with fine-tuned permissions (view, edit, and admin) for each of the workspace's projects. This makes Pro workspaces a great fit for teams of people that have several active Kumu users.
In addition to flexible user management, Pro workspaces also have access to these exclusive features:
- Private project archiving. Have private projects you want to continue to share through Kumu but don’t need to edit? Simply archive the project and you’ll no longer need to pay for it.
- Project-wide activity feed. Collaborating with a large team to build out your map? Use the activity feed to keep tabs on who’s making each change across your project.
- Real-time, embedded comments. You’ve done the work of building your map, let us do the heavy lifting to collect the feedback. Engage in discussions and link them to specific elements, connections, and loops. Use comments to brainstorm ideas and make it easy for others to give feedback while you’re building out your map.
- Hourly backups, retained for six months. Map freely, knowing you have backups of your project data in case you make a mistake.
- Customized branding. Replace Kumu's logos with your own to align your projects with your brand.
Create a Pro workspace
To upgrade your existing workspace to a Pro workspace: Click on the Workspaces tab in your dashboard. Then click on the title of your workspace to open its settings. Under the Billing section click on the button "Upgrade to Pro workspace".
To create a new Pro workspace, next to your existing workspace: Go to your account dashboard, then navigate to the Workspaces tab and click the green New Workspace button. Give your new workspace a name, and Kumu will send you through to the workspace's Settings page.
Your workspace will be a Basic workspace by default. In the Billing section of your workspace's settings page, click the button to upgrade to a Pro workspace. After that, you're all set!
Note: You need to create an account in order to create and own a Pro workspace. Even if you think a Pro workspace is the right option for you, be sure to sign up for your Kumu account first.
Add users to a Pro workspace
After you create your Pro workspace, you can start inviting other Kumu users to join. Scroll down to the Collaboration header on the Pro Workspace Settings page to add or edit the users of a Pro Workspace. (If you're not already on your Pro Workspace page, click on the Workspaces tab in your Kumu Dashboard > and then on the title of the Pro Workspace to get there)
Users can be invited to be owners or members:
- Owners can add new members, and they have full access to everything within the Pro workspace. The creator of the Pro workspace is an Owner by default. Owners also have admin access to update billing and profile information.
- Members can see a list of all projects owned by the Pro workspace, and they can create new projects, but they can only open projects they've been given access to.
Create a project
Next, you'll want to create a project for your Pro workspace. This works just like it does for Basic workspaces—simply click the New Project button, fill out the required information, and you'll be ready to go.
Grant direct access to projects
Once you have a project, you can start granting access to other users. If you have the project open, you can go into the project settings menu and click Members to search for and add other users to the project.
These users can be existing members of your Pro workspace, but you can also add any personal Kumu account. This is useful when, for example, you're creating a project for a client, and you want them to view that project, but you don't want to add them to your Kumu Pro workspace.
You can grant users one of three project access roles:
- Observers can only view the project—they can't make any changes
- Contributors can view and edit the project
- Managers can view and edit the project, and they can also rename or delete the project and add or remove other users
Of course, if you have a lot of projects or a lot of users, it would be tedious to add the same users with the same permissions to every single project! To solve that problem, you can use team-based access.
Teams are very useful when you want to assign project permissions quickly, without opening up each project. You can add your Pro workspace's owners and members to teams, then grant a specific project permission to the team itself—each user inside the team will instantly be given that same permission for the project.
If you have a lot of projects and/or a lot of Kumu users in your Pro workspace, this will be much faster than assigning project permissions to every single individual, for every single project!
To create a team, go to your Pro workspace dashboard and click the New Team button. Then, use the modal that pops up to add users to the team. You can also decide whether you want those users to be "maintainers". Maintainers can add and remove users to and from the team.
When your team is all set up, click on one of your Pro workspace's projects to bring up the project access modal. Choose whether the team has no access, view-only access, edit access, or admin access (includes the ability to add users to the project, rename the project, and delete the project).
Now that you've mastered the basics of adding users, check out the next sections to learn how to use other features exclusive to Pro workspaces.
When you sign up for a Pro workspace, you can tweak Kumu's branding to be more aligned with your brand. Currently, you can:
- Upload a logo to use on the project loading screen
- Upload a logo to use as a watermark on embedded maps
To manage your branding settings, go to your Pro workspace's dashboard and scroll down to the Branding section.
Pro workspaces can use Google Analytics tracking to see how many people are visiting their maps, what items those people are clicking on, and when all that activity is happening. To learn how to set up tracking for your Pro workspace, check out our full guide on tracking.